Spotlight Interview: Yu-Kai Lin
1. Kai, you have opened one of Atlanta’s premier art galleries, tell us how you got started with that?
Thanks so much Max, we opened the gallery back in January 2009 because I saw a huge need for talented emerging and established artists to have a space to exhibit their artwork in their own hometown. Because Atlanta is such a budding and vibrant community, I felt that it was an opportune time to open KAI LIN ART.
2. Have you always had a passion for art and design?
Yes as long as I can remember, I always loved drawing and art.
3. Kai Lin Art has closed Downtown, but you are re-opening in Buckhead… give us some more details on this big move.
We’re moving for a couple of reasons. We are adding a retail component to our gallery that will be branded as KAI LIN SHOP. The shop will actively market and sell hand-crafted, unique art and craft items below $100. Our Midtown location was 3,600 square feet and our new Buckhead location will be over 4,300 square feet. The decision to move was based upon expanding our space, increasing exposure to a new market, and growing our sales volume.
4. Do you have big plans for Kai Lin Art’s future? Care to give us some details on what to expect?
Our plan for KAI LIN ART and KAI LIN SHOP is to continue to actively promote the arts in our community through fostering the development of local emerging and established artists. We plan to grow on the momentum of our brand.
5. Do you have any planned exhibitions coming up that we should know about?
Our 17th exhibition will be MONSTERS 2.0 which is a group exhibit featuring 13 artists that make whimsical, illustrative art work. The exhibit will open on Friday September 9th from 7-10pm and runs through the end of October.
6. To the LGBT youth who can relate to you, what can you say to encourage them to follow their dreams?
I feel that every opportunity is an opportunity to learn and grow. To the LGBT youth that are passionate about what they do, I say take the chance, say yes and make a difference because we’re all in this together.
7. Tell us a little bit about your personal life. What do you do when you aren’t running a business?
On my free time, I enjoy teaching piano to my students, drawing, and enjoying meals with close friends and family.
8. Do you have any other business projects in the works?
KAI LIN SHOP is in development and will launch in conjunction with KAI LIN ART 2.0 in Buckhead with the opening of MONSTERS 2.0 on Friday, September 9th.
9. Which song is stuck on repeat on your iPod right now?
Chris Botti’s When I Fall In Love
For more, please visit www.kailinart.com or call 404 408 4248. The gallery is located at 3096 Roswell Road NE Atlanta GA 30305.